Los Angeles Orphanage Guild
The Los Angeles Orphanage Guild is a membership-based charitable organization that is dedicated to helping children placed at Maryvale recover from intolerable physical and sexual abuse and emotional abandonment. Our goal is to provide support for much-needed therapeutic care and, through our auxiliary group, the Orphanage Guild Juniors, child-centric activities. We want to help the children at Maryvale understand that each is individually treasured and valued.
In 1952, the Los Angeles Orphanage Guild was formally incorporated as a tax-exempt support organization. It was organized to provide financial support for Maryvale and to provide activities and mentorship for the children living at Maryvale. From 1952 through the end of the 1970s, the Guild provided services to Maryvale which was a traditional orphanage raising children who were abandoned and orphaned. As a result of changes in social service programs, Maryvale has shifted from a traditional orphanage to a residential program dedicated to helping young girls who have been the victims of physical and sexual abuse and emotional abandonment. In the last 18 months, Maryvale has expanded its program to include both girls and boys who are removed from their homes and need short-term emergency shelter. As Maryvale’s programs have shifted, so has the mission of the Guild.
We are certain that if you found this website, you are a person who understands that a child does not have to be without parents to be orphaned. Help us today embrace the children living at Maryvale. Help us provide the love and therapy that will restore to each child a sense of well-being so that she may move forward as an emotionally healthy and loving adult. Help us save the lives of these treasured children.
History of Maryvale
On January 6, 1856, six Daughters of Charity from their American Provincial House in Emmitsburg, Maryland stepped from a Banning stagecoach at their designation – El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora de Los Angeles. They had come to provide much needed care and service to the needy of Los Angeles, then a pueblo of only a few thousand people.
Upon their arrival, the Sisters established the hospital and the first orphanage in Los Angeles at Alameda and Macy streets. From that time to the present, the Sisters have cared for children of all races and creeds who are in need of shelter, security and devoted concern.
In 1891, the Los Angeles Orphanage moved from downtown Los Angeles to a much larger facility in Boyle Heights in order to accommodate the growing number of children in need of care. By 1950, the Boyle Heights facility had deteriorated and with the new freeway system encroaching on its western edge the facility was condemned by the city. A new location was needed and friends of the Orphanage rallied to the cause.
Countess Estelle Doheny, the wife of Edward L. Doheny, donated land in Rosemead, California and substantial funds for a new campus. A committee known as The Friends of the Los Angeles Orphanage worked tirelessly to complete the funding of the new facilities. Realizing that the funding needs would continue once the facilities were completed, many members of The Friends of the Los Angeles Orphanage committee became founding members of the Los Angeles Orphanage Guild, which continues to exist today and continues its mission to support Maryvale and the work of the Daughters of Charity.
From 1953 to the present, under the new name of Maryvale, the Daughters of Charity have operated the Los Angeles Orphanage on the Rosemead campus. Reflecting the changes in the child welfare system, Maryvale has evolved from a classic orphanage to an integrated child welfare agency providing children in the foster system with a loving, stable, and supportive environment.